AUSTRAC plays a key role in a number of international organisations focused on combating money laundering, terrorism financing and other financial crime, including:
- Financial Action Task Force (FATF)
- Egmont Group of Financial Intelligence Units
- Asia/Pacific Group on Money Laundering.
Financial Action Task Force (FATF)
FATF is an inter-governmental body focused on fighting money laundering, terrorism financing and other related threats to the integrity of the international financial system, by ensuring the effective implementation of legal, regulatory and operational measures.
AUSTRAC is a member of FATF and participates in a number of working groups and initiatives. More information about FATF is available on the FATF website.
Egmont Group of Financial Intelligence Units
The Egmont Group is made up of international financial intelligence units (FIUs).
It provides a global network for enhancing cooperation among FIUs, especially in the areas of:
- information exchange
- training and sharing of knowledge and expertise
- fostering the implementation of domestic anti-money laundering/counter-terrorism financing (AML/CTF) programs.
AUSTRAC is a founding and active member and lead Commonwealth agency to the Egmont Group.
More information about the Egmont Group is available on the Egmont Group website.
Here’s the video showcasing the highlights of 25th Egmont group Plenary Meeting Hosted by AUSTRAC 24-27 September 2018 in Sydney. Watch the video here
Asia/Pacific Group on Money Laundering (APG)
The APG is a FATF-style regional body for the Asia-Pacific region. Its key roles in the region include:
- assessing compliance by APG members with global AML/CTF standards
- coordinating technical assistance and training initiatives
- conducting research and analysis into money laundering and terrorism financing trends and methods.
Australia is a founding member of the APG and permanent co-chair of the group.
AUSTRAC coordinates Australia's whole-of-government engagement with the APG.
More information about the APG is available on the APG website.