Infringement notices issued by AUSTRAC
Under Part 15, Division 3 of the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (AML/CTF Act), an authorised officer may issue an infringement notice if they have reasonable grounds to believe that a person has contravened an infringement notice provision. The infringement notice provisions under the AML/CTF Act are as follows:
- subsection 51B(1) (which deals with the requirement for reporting entities to enrol on the Reporting Entities Roll)
- subsection 51F(1) (which deals with reporting entities notifying changes of their enrolment details)
- subsection 53(3) (which deals with reports about movements of physical currency)
- subsection 59(4) (which deals with reports about movements of bearer negotiable instruments)
- subsections 74(1), (1A), (1B) and (1C) (which deal with providing certain remittance services if unregistered or in breach of a condition of registration)
- subsection 75M(1) (which deals with notifying the AUSTRAC Chief Executive Officer of certain matters).
If the penalty specified in the infringement notice is paid within the requisite time frame, any liability in relation to the alleged contravention is discharged and no criminal or civil penalty proceedings will be brought.
If the penalty specified in the infringement notice is not paid, AUSTRAC may initiate action in respect of the offence.
By publishing copies of infringement notices, AUSTRAC remains transparent and accountable in its decision making. Information that is commercial in confidence, against the public interest to release, or consists of an individual's personal details, is deleted from the published copy.
Ple Aprilase note that only infringement notices issued by AUSTRAC are published on this website. Infringement notices issued under the AML/CTF Act by other agencies (such as the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service or the Australian Federal Police) are not published on AUSTRAC's website.
|19 November 2013||Ria Financial Services Australia Pty Ltd||Infringement notice issued to Ria Financial Services Australia Pty Ltd (PDF, 48KB)|
|19 December 2014||MoneyGram Payment Systems Inc|
|9 December 2014||
ClassicBet Pty Ltd
|29 April 2015||
MoneyGram Payment Systems Inc
Please note: The annexures to the above infringement notices have not been published. Details of all registered remittance providers can be accessed through the publicly available Remittance Sector Register.